Anderson Lake
Anderson Lake is roughly 25 km west of Lillooet. Anderson Lake, along with Anderson River, is named after Alexander Caulfield Anderson, an HBC employee until 1854; in 1858 Douglas commissioned Anderson to open a route from the lower Fraser River to the upper Fraser, by way of Harrison Lake and Lillooet.1 Apparently, Anderson's work was exemplary enough to compel Douglas to name features in Anderson's honour.2
  • 1. G. P. V. Akrigg and H. B. Akrigg, British Columbia Place Names (Vancouver: UBC Press, 1997), 6.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Anderson Lake. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/anderson_lake.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)