Bear Lake
Bear Lake is located in the Cassiar Land District, south of Sustut River and north of Fort Babine. (1) The unincorporated community of Bear Lake borders the actual lake. Sir James Douglas established the community, formerly known as Fort Connelly, in 1826 for the Hudson's Bay Company and named it after his father-in-law. It was renamed in 1964. (2)
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Douglas, James

Places in this document

Fort Babine

The Colonial Despatches Team. Bear Lake. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/bear_lake.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)