Bellingham Bay
Bellingham Bay is located roughly 25 km south of the Canada-United States border. It has gone by many other names: Spanish explorers called it “Seno de Gaston”, or “Gulf of Gaston”, in 1791; Joseph Whidbey, surveying on behalf of Captain Vancouver in 1792, named it after Sir William Bellingham, a naval storekeeper at the time; it has had the additional names of “Ballsam Bay” and “Gaston Bay”, and its Indigenous name, presumably given by the Lummis, is “Tut-segh”.1
  • 1. Lynn Middleton, Placenames of the Pacific Northwest Coast (Victoria: Elldee Publishing Company, 1969), 21-22.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Vancouver, George

The Colonial Despatches Team. Bellingham Bay. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/bellingham_bay.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)