Bonaparte House
Bonaparte House, also spelled “Buonaparte,” was a roadhouse during the colonial period located near the Bonaparte River and Rattlesnake Hill. Bonaparte House was used for public meetings, notably the 1871 meeting to protest the Civil List Act. The protests made here were considered to be inconsequential according to Musgrave.1 Before the operation of Bonaparte House by Charles Semlin and Philip Parke -- an irishman who arrived in the Bonaparte Valley in 1862 -- the roadhouse was known as Wayside House. This changed in 1865 with the new management.2
Under Parke and Semlin, Wayside House moved to a piece of land near the Bonaparte River and Rattlesnake Hill, subsequently re-christening it to Bonaparte House. The roadhouse was once again renamed in 1868 to Cache Creek House under its new proprietor William “Boston” H. Samson.3 It is difficult to say for certain where the house was located as all remnants of it are now gone; however, it seems to have been located close to the entrance of the current day Sage and Sands trailer park in Cache Creek.4
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Musgrave, Anthony

Places in this document

Bonaparte River

Cache Creek

The Colonial Despatches Team. Bonaparte House. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/bonaparte_house.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)