Clover Point
Clover Point is located at the most southern extremity of Victoria.1 According to Walbran, Douglas named the site in reference to the red clover that was growing most luxuriously when he disembarked from the HMS Beaver;2 however, Scott disputes this claim, and proposes that Douglas named Clover Point during a visit to shore from the Cadboro in 1842.3
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 125.
  • 2. John T. Walbran, British Columbia Coast Names (Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre, 1971), 96.
  • 3. Scott, Raincoast Placenames, 125.
Mentions of this place in the documents
    People in this document

    Douglas, James

    Vessels in this document

    Beaver, 1835-1888

    Cadboro, 1824-1860

    Places in this document

    Victoria

    The Colonial Despatches Team. Clover Point. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/clover_point.html.

    Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)