Gonzales Point
Gonzales Point is on the south side of Victoria City, on Vancouver Island. Gonzales Point was named Gonzalo in 1790, after Manuel Quimper's first officer aboard the Princess Real, Gonzalo López de Haro, whose name would also inspire the name Haro Strait.1
In an 1852 despatch to Earl Grey, James Douglas speaks to the HBC's 25 square miles on the south east corner of Vancouver's Island. This land commences at Victoria harbour, then runs in a large loop to near Knocken Hill, then to Lake Hill, and Mount Douglas to Cordova Bay, on the Canal de Arro, from whence it follows the coast by Gordon Head and Point Gonzales, to the point of commencement at Victoria Harbour.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Gonzales Point. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/gonzales.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)