Greenville Canal (Grenville Channel)
Greenville Canal (currently known as Grenville Channel) is a slender body of water between Pitt Island and the mainland.1 It was named by Vancouver after William Wyndham Grenville, a British statesman who lived between 1759 and 1834.2 The channel is 72 kilometres long and, according to the despatches, was used by the British Royal Navy vessels to travel between Kitimat and Metlakatla.3 It is a beautiful passage used today by cruise ships and the ferries that travel between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert.4
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Vancouver, George

Places in this document

Kitimat

Metlakatla

Port Hardy

Prince Rupert

The Colonial Despatches Team. Greenville Canal (Grenville Channel). The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/greenville_canal.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)