Knight's Inlet
Knight's Inlet is the largest of the major inlets in the southern part on the coast of mainland British Columbia, and it is the first inlet that points away from the Strait of Georgia. It is roughly 111 kilometers long and about 2.9 kilometers wide.1
The inlet was first charted by William Broughton in 1792, the second-in-command to George Vancouver during his 1791-95 expedition. However, it was Vancouver who named it in 1792 after John Knight, a British Naval Officer.2 In this despatch, Musgrave describes settling a dispute between the Indigenous Peoples at Knight's Inlet and copper mine workers.3
The north end of Knight's Inlet is known as “Tsawatti” or “Tsawadi” after the Indigenous village which is located at the mouth of the Klinaklini River. This area is recognized as an ancient Indigneous village which supports a fishery, clover garden, and other forms of agriculture for harvest.4
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Knight's Inlet. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/knights_inlet.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)