Observatory Inlet
Observatory Inlet is an extension of Portland Inlet, which is located north of Prince Rupert. The inlet was named by Captain George Vancouver because of the numerous astronomical observations he made there after setting up his observatory in Salmon Cove.1 This despatch mentions that Observatory Inlet was to be one of the locations of a line of telegraph that Governor Frederick Seymour supported.
  • 1. Captain John T. Walbran, British Columbia Coast Names; Their Origin and History (Vancouver/Toronto: Douglas & McIntyre, 1971), 364.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Seymour, Frederick

Vancouver, George

Places in this document

Portland Inlet

Prince Rupert

The Colonial Despatches Team. Observatory Inlet. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/observatory_inlet.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)