Port Augusta
Port Augusta was located in the Comox Harbour, although it does not go by that name today. Before European arrival, the territory belonged to the K'omoks.1
The port was known as an anchorage for vessels engaged in trade, exploration, and surveillance along the west coast of British Columbia. The well-known Beaver ship was one of the first exploration ships to come to Port Augusta. In 1868, the screw steamer James Douglas commenced regular service to Port Augusta. And by 1871, the “Maude” connected Port Augusta to mail service.2
Throughout the late 1800s, the Royals Navy often anchored at Port Augusta; and in the late 1890s, J.B. Holmes built the “Port Augusta Hotel,” located just off the actual port. The hotel served as a store and occasionally a church.3
Mentions of this place in the documents
Vessels in this document

Beaver, 1835-1888

Sir James Douglas

Places in this document

British Columbia

The Colonial Despatches Team. Port Augusta. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/port_augusta.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)