Port Moody
Port Moody extends from the southeast side of Burrard Inlet, east of Vancouver.1
The body of water was named by Captain George Richards in 1860 after Colonel Moody, who commanded the Columbia detachment of Royal Engineers in BC from 1858-63.2 The land around it became the original terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railway; however, the terminus was quickly moved to Vancouver, which slowed the Port's economic growth.3
Port Moody's first main industries were an oil refinery and a sawmill, but it was developed primarily as a residential suburb of Vancouver.4 It maintains an active port as well as many important industrial facilities.5
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 397.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Ibid.
  • 4. Ibid.
  • 5. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Port Moody. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/port_moody.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)