Port San Juan
Port San Juan is located on the west side of Vancouver Island, southeast of Nitinat Lake, and north of the Juan de Fuca Strait. In 1789, Spanish explorer José María Narváez visited the port on the feast day of John the Baptist, giving Port San Juan its name.1 Early fur traders knew it as Poverty Bay, but Captain George Vancouver adopted Port San Juan over the English name on his chart.2
In this despatch, Douglas lists desirable anchorages for ships in distress; he notes that Port San Juan is a spacious bay with a very convenient depth of water well sheltered from all but SW winds, which would send a swell into it, and adds that ships with good ground tackle would ride out in safety almost any gale, and vessels of moderate size might even find shelter from these winds.
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 473-474.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Douglas, James

Vancouver, George

Places in this document

Juan de Fuca Strait

Nitinat

Vancouver Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Port San Juan. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/port_san_juan.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)