Portland Canal
The Portland Canal marks part of today's British Columbia-Alaska Boundary, extending 114 km north from Portland Inlet to the town of Stewart. In 1793, Captain George Vancouver named the canal in honour of William Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland.1
This despatch notes that the canal marks the boundary between the Colony of British Columbia and the Russian Possessions.
The canal is a common fishing and food gathering area for the Nisga'a people, who know the entire body of water as “X'alii Xk'alaa”.2
  • 1. Portland Canal, BC Geographical Names Information System.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Vancouver, George

Places in this document

British Columbia

The Colonial Despatches Team. Portland Canal. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/portland_canal.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)