Tatla Lake
Tatla Lake, or “Tatl'ah Biny,” is located on the western edge of the Chilcotin grasslands. This lake, along with Chilcotin and Alexis Lake, form a triangle which are all approximately 40 kilometers apart. Tatla Lake is one of the three main fishing grounds that the Tsilhqot'in congregate to in the spring months.1
The Tsilhqot'in early winter hunting and trapping ground is in and around the lower elevations of lakes such as Tatla Lake. It was also noted in 1872 that the “Stone Tsilhqot'ins” under Chief Keogh occupied the land from Tatla Lake to the Chilko River.2 The lakes in the Chilcotin region are an important resource to the Tsilhqot'in, demonstrated by the connectivity throughout the various areas of the region via trails, such as the one that connects the fishery at Little Eagle Lake to Tatla Lake.3
In the aftermath of the “Chilcotin Massacre,” William George Cox and his men were sent by Governor Seymour to chase rogue Tsilhqot'in near Tatla Lake.4 In 1875, George Mercer Dawson surveyed the Chilcotin region, including Tatla Lake. Tatla Lake, like many Indigenous named places, is an example of a place settlers/explorers visited and then named them for themselves. This act was an erasure of the community and life that existed prior to European settlements.5
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Cox, William George

Seymour, Frederick

Places in this document

Alexis Lake

Chilcotin Plateau

Chisicut Lake

The Colonial Despatches Team. Tatla Lake. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/tatla_lake.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)