Aylmer
Aylmer, Ontario, is located roughly 15 km north of Lake Erie. European settlement began there in 1817; and, by 1836, it was large enough to warrant a post office.1 The settlement, originally called Hodgkinson's Corners, was renamed Aylmer in honour of Lord Aylmer, governor general of Upper and Lower Canada from 1831-35.2
It was referred to as Aylmer West, in contradistinction to the Aylmer in Lower Canada, now Québec.2 This naming convention appears in several despatches. For example, this correspondence refers to a meeting held in “Aylmer C. W.”, that is, Canada West.
  • 1. D. Welch and M Payne, Aylmer (Ont), The Canadian Encyclopedia.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Aylmer. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/aylmer.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)