Becher Bay
This bay is located on the southern coast Vancouver Island, just southeast of the Sooke Basin, and west of Pedder Bay.
Becher Bay, along with other Becher features, was named by Captain Kellett in 1846, during his survey of southern Vancouver Island waters, in homage to Alexander Bridport Becher (1796-1876), a Royal Navy hydrographer.1 Becher is often confused with Beecher, likely as a result of Beechey Head's proximity to the bay.2
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 65.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Kellett, Henry

Places in this document

Beechey Head

Pedder Bay

Sooke Basin

Vancouver Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Becher Bay. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/becher_bay.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)