Bella Bella
Bella Bella was a Heiltsuk village located on Denny Island. To the Heiltsuk peoples, Bella Bella was known as 'Qélc. In 1880, Methodist missionaries encouraged the people of Bella Bella village, the central village the Heiltsuk people had congregated to after a devastating smallpox epidemic, to favour more European-centred means of accommodation. Because of this push, residents relocated the village of Bella Bella to Campbell Island, three kilometres north of McLoughlin Bay. The original cite of the abandoned Bella Bella village on Denny Island village is now known as Old Bella Bella.1
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Bella Bella. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/bella_bella.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)