Burrard Inlet
Burrard Inlet separates the city of Vancouver from North Vancouver. In 1792, Vancouver named it Burrard's Channel, in honour of a former shipmate, Captain Sir Harry Burrard (1765-1840).1 In 1791, Spanish explorer Francisco Eliza called it Brazo de Floridablanca, in reference to a famous Spanish statesman of the time.2
In 1792, Spanish explorers Alcalá-Galiano and Valdez charted it as Canal de Sasamat, as a variant on what they understood to be the local First Nations name for the inlet.3
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 95.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Burrard Inlet. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/burrard_inlet.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)