Bushby, Arthur T.
b. 1835-03-02
d. 1875-05-18
Born 2 March 1835 in London, England, Arthur T. Bushby grew to become a respected public official. Shortly after his arrival at Victoria in 1858, Bushby acquired a job as Judge Matthew Begbie's private secretary. Within months, Bushby then held the title of Registrar of the Supreme Court in BC. And by 1861, Douglas appointed Bushby to the newly created position of Registrar General.1
Initially, Douglas and British officials clashed over the new position. The Colonial Office believed the office of Registrar General and Registrar of the Supreme Court could be held by one man, despite Douglas already hiring a replacement Registrar of the Supreme Court. British officials also disagreed with Douglas's proposed salary of £500 and questioned the choice to promote Bushby. Nobody knew Bushby and Douglas's enemies had accused the governor of packing all places in the Colony with his ‘Creatures.'2 However, Begbie's letter of reference convinced British officials of Bushby's character. Douglas later managed to persuade them on all other points.
Bushby used his increased salary to marry Agnes Douglas, James Douglas's daughter. The couple had been unofficially engaged for years. Agnes and Bushby then moved to New Westminster, where Bushby built a house for them.3
Bushby's career and personal pursuits left him with a long list of accomplishments. He held positions such as Postmaster General, Stipendiary Magistrate, Resident Magistrate for Cariboo, and became a member of the Legislative Council. Bushby also joined New Westminster's hospital boards, library boards, and school boards. Bushby's religious devotion led to his position as churchwarden for New Westminster's Holy Trinity Church.4 Bushby was also an accomplished amateur musician, who once spent a summer in Italy to study voice, piano, and the Italian language.5 His musical pursuits resulted in his co-founding the Victoria Philharmonic Society, where Bushby frequently travelled to take part in charity concerts. In his hometown, Bushby played at church events and May Day parades.6
Bushby became popular for his contributions to the community. When he died suddenly on 18 May 1875 at forty years old, a memorial window was erected in Bushby's honour at the Holy Trinity Church.7
Mentions of this person in the documents