Cape Mudge
Cape Mudge is located on the south end of Quadra Island, which lies off the mideastern coast of Vancouver Island. This cape, that juts into notoriously hazardous waters, is named after Zachary Mudge (1770-1852), a first lieutenant of Vancouver's Discovery; Mudge's name is attached to several coastal features.1 Today, the cape is part of We-wai-kai lands, whose name for the cape is Yaculta.2
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 106.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
Places in this document

Quadra Island

Vancouver Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Cape Mudge. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/cape_mudge.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)