Cape Saint James
Cape Saint James is on the southern end of Saint James Island. It was named so by Dixon, who rounded the cape on Saint James's day, in 1787.1 The Haida First Nation name for the cape is Rangxiid Kun.2 The cape has been home to a lighthouse, a meteorological station, and a WWII radar station—as of 1992, the lighthouse has become automated.3
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 107.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Dixon, George

Places in this document

Saint James Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Cape Saint James. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/cape_saint_james.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)