Chatham Sound
The Chatham Sound is a broad body of water off the northwest coast of Prince Rupert.1 It resides between Digby Island and Dundas Island and was named by Captain Charles Duncan after John Pitt, the 2nd Earl of Chatham and the 1st Lord of the British Admiralty.2 Captain Pike, while working to control illegal liquor trading in Fort Rupert, travelled through Chatham Sound in 1863.4 The lighthouse on one of the islands in Chatham Sound is the most northerly light on the coast.5
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Chatham Sound. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/chatham_sound.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)