Columbia, 1835
The bark Columbia was an HBC ship of 315 tonnes, 6 guns, and 24 crew.1 It has the distinction of being one of the first few ships to enter Victoria Harbour direct from England, the first was the Vancouver in 1845.2
An 1856 despatch notes that the Columbia arrived in Victoria, from San Francisco, with reinforcements of Troops with munitions of War, in answer, presumably, to ongoing conflicts with Indigenous groups.
The Columbia was built by Messrs Green Wigram & Green and launched in 1835.3 In 1835 it served as escort to another famous West Coast ship, the Beaver, on its journey to the coast.4 the HBC sold this well-travelled ship in 1850.5
Mentions of this vessel in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Columbia, 1835. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/columbia.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)