Cowichan Head
Cowichan Head is located on the eastern shores of the Saanich Peninsula, north of Cordova Bay. It was named in 1859 by Captain Richards of HMS Plumper.1 According to one provincial archivist, the land surrounding Cowichan Head was sold to the HBC by local First Nations.2
See the Cowichan Bay entry for more on Cowichan name origins and meanings.
  • 1. John T. Walbran, British Columbia Coast Names (Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre, 1971), 116.
  • 2. Cowichan Head, BC Geographical Names Information System.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Richards, George Henry

Vessels in this document

HMS Plumper, 1848-1865

Places in this document

Cordova Bay

Cowichan Bay

Saanich Peninsula

The Colonial Despatches Team. Cowichan Head. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/cowichan_head.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)