Descanso Bay
Descanso Bay is on the west end of Gabriola Island. It was named Cala del Descanso, or “cove of rest” in the early 1790s by Spanish explorers, though Captain Richards marked it as Rocky Bay during his 1862 survey of the area.1
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 158.
Mentions of this place in the documents
Places in this document

Gabriola Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Descanso Bay. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/descanso_bay.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)