Englefield Bay
Englefield Bay is located on the west side of Haida Gwaii, in Mitchell Inlet, off northwest Moresby Island. It was named after a friend of Captain Vancouver, Sir Henry Charles Englefield (1752-1822)—this bay is known unofficially as Gold Harbour, following the discovery of gold, likely on the shores of Mitchell Inlet, in the mid-1850s.1
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 184.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Vancouver, George

Places in this document

Gold Harbour

Haida Gwaii

Mitchell Inlet

The Colonial Despatches Team. Englefield Bay. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/englefield_bay.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)