Mitchell Inlet
Mitchell Inlet is located on the on the northwest side of Moresby Island, in Haida Gwaii. The Inlet branches roughly south from Englefield Bay, which is known unofficially as Gold Harbour—a brawl over the precious metal occurred here in 1851, between Haida and HBC men, which is described by the reverend Thomas Boys in this letter, and by Douglas in this despatch.
Mitchell Inlet is named after William Mitchell (1802-76), an HBC master mariner, who in 1859 was put in charge of Fort Rupert.1
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 393-94.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Mitchell Inlet. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/mitchell_inlet.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)