Entrance Island
Entrance Island is located approximately two kilometers off the north-east end of Gabriola Island, and about 10 kilometers from the Coal Company's wharf.
Due to Nanaimo Harbour and Departure Bay being busy ports in the mid-late 1800s from coal shipments, the community decided to build a lighthouse on Entrance Island.1 Mr. Louis Baker -- a Montreal contractor -- was tasked with building the lighthouse. The lighthouse at Entrance Island's purpose was to indicate the position of the Nanaimo Harbour and Departure Bay; as well as to mark the entrance into the city of Nanaimo. Construction on the lighthouse did not begin until late October 1875, and in its construction, caused tragedies such as the drowning of three builders.2 The lighthouse still stands and continues its same function from Entrance Island today.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Entrance Island. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/entrance_island.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)