Fort Hall
Fort Hall was a fur trading post in Idaho located 80 kilometers northeast of where the Oregon-California Trail fork. It was founded by Nathaniel J. Wyeth and built in 1832-33. In 1837, the Hudson's Bay Company purchased the fort from Wyeth and continued to run it until the mid 1850s.1
In 1842-43, Fort Hall became a major station and supply point for emigrants and travelers such as Dr. Marcus Whitman and Reverend Henry Spalding. In 1848, George Simpson described Fort Hall as a defenseless state and ordered it to be temporarily abandoned.2 Although the fort was later a hub for trade and supplies, by 1856 the Hudson's Bay decided to discontinue operations due to the decline in trade and increasing hostilities with Indigenous Peoples.3 Fort Hall is now a heritage site, although it has been and was often confused with Cantonment Loring, another post not far from the original fort.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Simpson, George

Spalding, Henry Harmon

Whitman, Marcus

Organizations in this document

Hudson's Bay Company

The Colonial Despatches Team. Fort Hall. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/fort_hall.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)