Fort Saint James
Fort Saint James is located on the southeastern corner of Stuart Lake, in central British Columbia. It was founded by Simon Fraser in 1806 as the Stuart Lake post.1 Simpson described it, in 1828, as the capital of Western Caledonia, and it served as the HBC's administrative hub in New Caledonia.2 Today, the city of Fort Saint James is home to the Fort Saint James National Historic Site, established in 1948.3
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Fraser, Simon

Simpson, George

Places in this document

British Columbia

Stuart Lake

The Colonial Despatches Team. Fort Saint James. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/fort_saint_james.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)