Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids is located at the point where the Saskatchewan River meets Lake Winnipeg. These rapids, or the portage around them, were part of a vital supply-chain in the region, one which linked the Red River Settlement to the Saskatchewan River.1 At one time, the Colville, a round-bottomed steamer, carried freight from Lower Fort Garry to Grand Rapids and, in 1877, a light tramway was completed at Grand Rapids in order to carry goods over the portage.2
  • 1. Harold A. Innis, Fur Trade in Canada (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2001), 343.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. Grand Rapids. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/grand_rapids.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)