Howe Sound
Howe Sound is northwest of Burrard Inlet, which lies before Vancouver. It is marked at its eastern side by Point Atkinson's lighthouse, at its northernmost reach the city of Squamish, and to the western entrance, the town of Gibsons. It was named in 1794, though Walbran notes that is was named in 1792,1 by Captain Vancouver after Admiral Richard Howe (1726-99), a Royal Navy war hero.2
  • 1. John T. Walbran, British Columbia Coast Names (Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre, 1971), 253.
  • 2. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 273.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Vancouver, George

Places in this document

Burrard Inlet

Vancouver, British Columbia

The Colonial Despatches Team. Howe Sound. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/howe_sound.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)