Numukamis Village
The Numukamis Village, from the Indigenous name “Nuumaqimyis,” is located at the east end of Barkley Sound at the mouth of the Sarita River and is occupied, often in the winter months, by the Huu-ay-aht First Nation.1 The name of the village was given by the Huu-ay-aht either to refer to the bay that lies close to it or as a collective name for the five villages along the bay's shoreline. Huu-ay-aht peoples come here to harvest salmon in the fall.2
The first official documentation of the name “Numukamis” appears on the British Admiralty Chart 584 in 1861. Today the Numukamis Village is a Canadian government-designated Indigenous Reserve labeled as “Numukamis 1,”3 which is not an accurate representation of their traditional land.
Mentions of this place in the documents
Places in this document

Barkley Sound

The Colonial Despatches Team. Numukamis Village. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/numukamis.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)