Parry Bay
Parry Bay is on the southeast coast of Vancouver Island, east of Sooke and south of Metchosin. Quimper had named it Rada de Solano in 1790, until Captain Kellett called it Parry Bay in 1846 after his friend, the legendary Admiral Sir William Edward Parry, who was a naval officer, Arctic and Northwest Passage explorer, and hydrographer.1
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 448-449.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Kellett, Henry

Quimper, Manuel

Places in this document

Metchosin

Sooke

Vancouver Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Parry Bay. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/parry_bay.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)