Pavilion
Pavilion is located 20 km north of Lillooet on the east side of the Fraser River. Pavillon is the French word for flag.1 In 1826, the area was marked by the large white flag that waved over the grave of one of the Shuswap chiefs, giving Pavilion its name.2 According to one historian, the Indigenous name for the area is Skwailuk, which means hoar frost.3
  • 1. G. P. V. Akrigg and H. B. Akrigg, British Columbia Place Names (Vancouver: UBC Press, 1997), 203.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Pavilion, BC Geographical Names Information System.
Mentions of this place in the documents
Places in this document

Fraser River

Lillooet

The Colonial Despatches Team. Pavilion. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/pavilion.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)