Shushartie Harbour
Shushartie Harbour or Bay was a hub for economic activity on the north part of Vancouver Island. Before the establishment of Fort Rupert by the Hudson's Bay Company, trading vessels would often anchor and trade at Shushartie Bay.1 The area is part of the traditional territory of the Nahwitti First Nation, the main trading post became known as “Newitty” which was really Shushartie Harbour.2
Mentions of this place in the documents
Organizations in this document

Hudson's Bay Company

Places in this document

Fort Rupert, or T'sakis

Vancouver Island

The Colonial Despatches Team. Shushartie Harbour. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/shushartie_harbour.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)