Temple
The Temple is a series of buildings associated with the legal profession and it lies between Fleet Street and the Embankment in the City of London. The buildings are named after the Knights Templar -- a medieval religious and military order -- which established the buildings in 1160.1
The Templars order ended in 1312, the buildings were then voted to be given to the order of St. John of Jerusalem, which then began to lease the buildings to law students. Each section of the Temple contains its own halls, gardens, courts, and library collections.2 Most of the medieval buildings were destroyed in the Great Fire of London and other parts of the Temple were destroyed by bombs in the Second World War.3
Mentions of this place in the documents
Places in this document

London

The Colonial Despatches Team. Temple. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/temple.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)