Thetis Cove
Thetis Cove is on the east side of Esquimalt Harbour. It, as with other Thetis features, was named after HMS Thetis, a Royal Navy ship that sailed west coast waters in the 1850s.1
Interestingly, Kuper makes reference to another "Thetis" Cove, presumably somewhere on western Haida Gwaii.
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 588-589.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Kuper, Augustus L.

Vessels in this document

HMS Thetis, 1846-55

Places in this document

Esquimalt Harbour

Haida Gwaii

The Colonial Despatches Team. Thetis Cove. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/thetis_cove.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)