Tuckkwiowhum
According to this despatch, Tuckkwiowhum is a populous village six miles above Ke-que-loose and situated at the mouth of Anderson's River. The village is located in Nlaka'pamux territory and is only five kilometers south of Boston Bar, British Columbia.1
The village, on this traditional territory, has existed for over a thousand years but saw dramatic change over the last 200 years after settlers arrived. The area was given its name by the Nlaka'pamux Peoples which translates to great berry picking place. The forests surrounding the area contain: wild huckleberries, blueberries, and medicinal plants.2
Today the village has evolved into a heritage site and is run by the Nlaka'pamux peoples. The focus of the village today is to preserve Indigenous territory, history, and culture -- with many tourists coming to visit and learn the culture.3
Mentions of this place in the documents
Places in this document

Boston Bar

British Columbia

Ke-que-loose

The Colonial Despatches Team. Tuckkwiowhum. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/tuckkwiowhum.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)