Waldron Island
Named during the Wilkes Expedition of 1841, Waldron Island is located in the San Juan Islands, north of Orcas Island.1 Waldron Island was also named “Isla Lemos” by Spanish explorers.2 The island is mentioned by Richards in this despatch as having two good anchorages.
  • 1. Lynn Middleton, Place Names of the Pacific Northwest Coast (Victoria: Elldee Publishing, 1969), 220.
  • 2. Robert Hitchman, Place Names of Washington (Tacoma: Washington State Historical Society, 1985), 322.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Richards, George Henry

Places in this document

Orcas Island

San Juan Islands

The Colonial Despatches Team. Waldron Island. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/waldron_island.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)