Bank of British North America
British investors founded the Bank of British North America in 1836; it was incorporated by royal charter in 1840. The Victoria branch was located on Yates Street; the manager was Fred. Whatley Wood, the accountant was Alexander Watson, the teller was E.M. Jackson, and the messenger was A. Wilson. (See Colonist, 23 May 1859, and Edward Mallandaine, First Victoria Directory [Victoria: Edw. Mallandaine and Co., 1860].) The bank became the official bank for the city of Victoria and the colonial government of Vancouver Island. On 12 April 1918, the Bank of British North America was absorbed by the Bank of Montreal (Victoria Times, 12 April 1918). See Jackson, Banking, Mail, and Express Service in British North America.
Mentions of this organization in the documents
Places in this document

Victoria

The Colonial Despatches Team. Bank of British North America. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/bank_bna.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)