Beaver Harbour
This small harbour, just northeast of Port Hardy, was likely named after the historic HBC steamship Beaver.1
The area around this harbour was of interest for its coal deposits, to such an extent that Fort Rupert was constructed nearby to manage the extraction of the valuable ship-fuel mineral.2 See this document for further reading.
  • 1. John T. Walbran, British Columbia Coast Names (Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre, 1971), 64.
  • 2. Ibid., 513.
Mentions of this place in the documents
Vessels in this document

Beaver, 1835-1888

Places in this document

Fort Rupert, or T'sakis

Port Hardy

The Colonial Despatches Team. Beaver Harbour. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/beaver_harbour.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)