HMS Clio, 1858-1919
Davis lists Clio as a corvette class, screw-driven ship of 21 guns, with a length of 61 m and a displacement of 2,223 tonnes.1 It was built in Sheerness Dockyard in 1857 and launched from the same on 28 August 1858.2
Clio served twice on the British Columbia coast, the first from 1859-62 under the command of Captain Thomas Miller and the second from 1864-68, under the command of Captian Nicholas Turnour.3 In the latter commission the Clio became embroiled in a number of dramatic events, for example, in 1865, it destroyed the Kwakwaka'wakw village of Ku-Kultz, near Fort Rupert, when three men suspected of an earlier murder were not handed over.4
Clio is mentioned in several correspondence, including this despatch from 1859, in which Newcastle reports that Her Majesty's Government have ordered the Topaze and Clio to join the Squadron on the North West Coast of America. Another document, from 1866, reports that Rear Admiral Denman sent the Clio to afford protection and support to the British Settlers of Metlakahtla [Metlakatla], British Columbia.
The Clio went on to serve at the Australian Station from 1870-74, then it returned to the Wales coast to serve as a training vessel; in 1919, it was broken up for scrap at Bangor.6
  • 1. Peter Davis, Clio, William Loney RN—Ships.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 124.
  • 4. Ibid.
  • 5. Peter Davis, Clio, William Loney RN—Ships.
Mentions of this vessel in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. HMS Clio, 1858-1919. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/clio.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)