Constance Cove
Constance Cove is located on the eastern side of Esquimalt Harbour. It was named after HMS Constance, which, in 1848, became one of the first Royal Navy vessels to anchor at Esquimalt Harbour.1 The Cove was named in 1847 by an officer of the Plumper, James Wood, though one of Pemberton's maps from 1855 shows the Cove as Village Bay.2
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 131.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Pemberton, Joseph Despard

Vessels in this document

HMS Constance, 1846-1875

HMS Plumper, 1848-1865

Places in this document

Esquimalt Harbour

The Colonial Despatches Team. Constance Cove. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/constance_cove.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)