Dundas Island
Dundas Island is located north-west of Prince Rupert on the west side of Chatham Sound. It was named in 1793 by Vancouver after the Right Honourable Henry Dundas, the treasurer of the British Navy.1
In 1862 the murderers of John Henley and William Brady were pursued to Dundas Island by the HMS Hecate. The murderers escaped, but the Hecate captured fifteen canoes and two aboriginals who assisted the murderers' escape.2
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Brady, William

Henley, John

Vancouver, George

Vessels in this document

HMS Hecate, 1839-1865

Places in this document

Chatham Sound

The Colonial Despatches Team. Dundas Island. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/dundas_island.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)