HMS Hecate, 1839-1865
HMS Hecate was used on the Pacific coast late in its career, and was sent to replace the duties performed by HMS Plumper in 1860.1
Hecate was a 50 m long, 11 m wide, paddle-wheel sloop armed with four guns; it was launched on 30 March, 1839.2 Commander Anthony Hoskins sailed it into Esquimalt harbour in 1860, then the majority of the Plumper's crew and officers transferred aboard for continued survey service.3
Hecate ran aground in 1861, near Cape Flattery, and was, eventually, and after several repair stops along the way, relocated to England by 1864, where it would be decommissioned the following year.4
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 256.
  • 2. Inconstant, 1836, Index of 19th Century Naval Vessels.
  • 3. Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names, 256.
  • 4. Ibid.
Mentions of this vessel in the documents
The Colonial Despatches Team. HMS Hecate, 1839-1865. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/hecate.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)