Fort Hope
Fort Hope was built in 1848-49 on the traditional territory of the Chawithil First Nation, and became the town of Hope, British Columbia. According to a despatch from Governor Douglas, Fort Hope is a small post located near the mouth of the Coquihalla River and above the Tchae-tse-sum River. Fort Hope was known for its trail which was used often by the Hudson's Bay Company for transport.1
The construction of Fort Hope was due to the economic developments and international relations that arose from the 1846 boundary settlement. It served as a transfer point for goods being brought up the Fraser River from Fort Langley then to Kamloops and Alexandria. Although, this system only lasted until the 1860s due to the the new construction of roads prompted by gold discoveries.2
The site of Fort Hope is preserved as a heritage site due to its contribution as an element that opened a way into interior BC.3
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Douglas, James

Organizations in this document

Hudson's Bay Company

Places in this document

Alexandria

British Columbia

Coquihalla River

Fort Langley

Fraser River

Hope

Kamloops

Tchae-tse-sum River

The Colonial Despatches Team. Fort Hope. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/fort_hope.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)