Moore Channel
Moore Channel runs northwest of Moresby Island (Haida Gwaii). It was named after George Moore, master of the HMS Thetis, under Captain Augustus Kuper's command from 1851-53.1
The channel and the surrounding area was surveyed in 1852 for gold, which had been found at nearby Mitchell Inlet.2
  • 1. Andrew Scott, The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names (Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009), 399.
  • 2. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Kuper, Augustus L.

Moore, George

Vessels in this document

HMS Thetis, 1846-55

Places in this document

Mitchell Inlet

Moresby Island (Haida Gwaii)

The Colonial Despatches Team. Moore Channel. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/moore_channel.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)