Poor Man's Ditch
Poor Man's Ditch was an area owned by Mr. Melodey and three other men native to Ireland who came to British Columbia in 1858. The name “Poor Man's Ditch” referenced the state in which these men came to the colony -- with no capital and as simple miners.1 According to this despatch from 1861, Poor Man's Ditch was presumably somewhere along the Fraser River between Yale and Lytton. In the same despatch, Douglas mentions that the ditch is is seven miles long.2
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Douglas, James


Places in this document

British Columbia

Fraser River



The Colonial Despatches Team. Poor Man's Ditch. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/poor_man_ditch.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)