Yale
Yale is a small community located on the Fraser River, 32 km north of Hope. Established as an HBC fort in 1847, the fort was named after James Yale.1 It was known also as “The Falls”, due to its proximity to a stretch of rapids on the Fraser).2 Yale's population greatly expanded during the Fraser Gold Rush, and the town developed a raucous and dangerous reputation.3
Yale was the southern terminus of the Cariboo road, and the northern terminus for steamship navigation of the Fraser River; as such, it became a pivotal gold-rush station for travel both to the Cariboo gold fields and along the Fraser River.4 After the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway, Yale's geographical importance diminished and today the town has fewer than 200 residents.5
  • 1. G. P. V. Akrigg and H. B. Akrigg, British Columbia Place Names (Vancouver: UBC Press, 1997), 301.
  • 2. Ibid.
  • 3. Ibid.
  • 4. Yale, Encyclopedia of BC.
  • 5. Ibid.
Mentions of this place in the documents
People in this document

Yale, James Murray

Places in this document

Cariboo Region

Cariboo Road

Fraser River

Hope

The Falls

The Colonial Despatches Team. Yale. The Colonial Despatches of Vancouver Island and British Columbia 1846-1871, Edition 2.2, ed. The Colonial Despatches Team. Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria. https://bcgenesis.uvic.ca/yale.html.

Last modified: 2020-12-02 13:40:34 -0800 (Wed, 02 Dec 2020) (SVN revision: 5008)